Thursday, December 29, 2011

THE HOLIDAY SEASON IN SAN RAMON


There are a lot of things I’m learning to love in Costa Rica, and Christmas here is one of them.  There are a few similarities to Christmas in the U.S.A., but that’s about it.  I only started to become aware of Christmas in the shops about a week before the big day, when you would sometimes hear Christmas Carols, especially "Feliz Navidad" by Jose Feliciano.   Before that there was very little to remind one that Christmas was fast approaching, which to me is the biggest gift ever!  Christmas decorations are around, but to a far lesser degree than they are at home.  Some Ticos have told me that although presents are exchanged, it is not a given.   Some people have Christmas trees, but many do not.  When I do see more elaborate decorations and  reminders of Christmas, they are most often large Nativity scenes in someone’s yard or in a public space.  Christmas is seen more as a religious holiday and time off from work, (for some a whole week), to spend with family.  I am told Costa Ricans head for the beach en mass during the holiday.  After a Christmas Eve dinner tonight with new expat friends, I think I may join those masses tomorrow.  I can’t wait to get a deep breath of salty sea air.  The buses run all the time, even on Christmas!
CARLOS MARIO GONZALEZ "MR TACO",  SAN RAMON ENTREUPRENER
After several comfortable days in the “San Ramon Hotel”, I was referred by the owner, Don Alvaro Gonzalez, to his family, where I have taken up longer term accommodations.  I have a more than comfortable room with a private bath, use of the kitchen and living spaces, an internet connection, color TV with HBO and Spanish subtitles, (which are, by the way, a terrific help in learning the language)…what more could I want?  Grace, the lady of the house does my laundry and irons everything, even the underwear.  I asked her not to bother, but her son, Carlos Mario, (he has such great English!) told me “that’s just what she does”.  Most mornings Grace and I have very delicious Costa Rican coffee at the dining room table.  This is like a Spanish lesson for me and an English lesson for her.  I am pretty amazed at how well we can communicate.  

Carlos Mario, 23, is a budding restaurateur, owner operator of “Mr. Taco”.  He will soon introduce the “Coney” hot dog to San Ramon and I have a feeling they are going to go loco for it!   Grace’s 12 year old daughter, Sofia, is on vacation from school and she is a delight to be around.  She doesn’t particularly like to study English at school, so I am always  touched when she pulls out the family’s huge English/Spanish dictionary during our conversations.

On Christmas Day it was sunny and beautiful at Puntegeras, a beach lined with coconut palms on the Pacific side that is about a one hour bus ride from San Ramon.   Grace, Sofia and I took the bus there for a day of pure relaxation and calm.  The water was surprisingly warm, not the shock of cold you get in the Central Californian surf.   Most all the restaurants there and inland as well offer slushy frozen fruit drinks…everyone enjoys these, not just the touristas!  I think a main ingredient is a processed fruit puree, but many places add fresh fruit as well.  My favorite so far is the “Sandia”, or watermelon, which can be made for you with milk or water.  I like mine made with water, and I like it so well, I haven’t tried any other flavor yet.  But I’m sure I will in time!  I’ve also been consuming fresh green coconut water…I try to get one a day.  Dr. Mercola (mercola.com) says that fresh coconut water is packed with vitamins and trace minerals.  Many fruit stands have these coconuts with the husk still on.  They chop off the top part with a machete, stick in a straw, and there you are!  Depending on the location, these cost anywhere from 40 cents to one dollar.  On my finca I will be sure to plant some coconuts!  Ahhh…the life!

In my last blog, I made some misleading statements, because I didn’t take into account that one kilo is almost two pounds!  So actually, the fresh fruit and vegetables are sometimes about half the price that they are in the U.S.   Also, I’m looking at the meats in an entirely different light now that I’m using the correct measurements!  That being said, a decision to move to Central America should not be based alone on a less expensive cost of living.  I’ve been told that the difference is shrinking rapidly, and I can see now that this whole transition will run into thousands of dollars, given residency fees, etc.  However, if you are looking for a slower pace of life, a far healthier and simpler lifestyle, and a sane approach to healthcare that doesn’t drive families into bankruptcy, it just might be worth every penny.
LAURA (CARLOS' GIRLFRIEND), GRACE GONZALEZ SANCHO & SOFIA GONZALEZ SANCHO
LIVIN THE GOOD LIFE
I have discovered that there is a thriving ex-pat community here.  There is a woman’s group that meets at a Café every Thursday.  I was extremely lucky, when on my first day in San Ramon I met one of the members at the bank and she told me about it.  So I went last Thursday and met some truly interesting people.  Sometimes it is hard work being a stranger in a strange land, even if they call it “paradise”, and now it is so much clearer to me in a personal way why there were all the ethnic neighborhoods where I grew up in the Northeast (U.S.).  The Irish, the Italians, Puerto Ricans, Poles and Russians…it makes perfect sense that people cling to the familiar.  The women I met through this group are committed to their new community but also dedicated to helping the newcomers find their way around.  It’s hard to quantify how much that help is valued and appreciated.
SAN RAMON DRUMMERS HEATING UP THE TOWN PLAZA THE NIGHT AFTER CHRISTMAS
One of the women expats has a dog rescue mission and I’m told she now cares for 168 previously homeless dogs.  The San Ramon Women’s Expat Group helps out and once a month they go out to the shelter to help clean the kennels, wash the dogs, and give individual attention to these lucky dogs; some will be adopted out.  In addition, a lot of the expats in San Ramon make financial contributions to this noble endeavor.

Like myself, many North Americans and Europeans are animal lovers (and I certainly don’t mean to say that many Central Americans are not…there are many cherished pets here!).  But it’s painful to see neglected and homeless dogs everywhere.  There is no animal control that I know of.   Mostly the dogs prowl along the street with their noses to the ground scavenging for any morsel.   So any time I have leftovers, at home or in a restaurant, a doggie bag is a must.  In Costa Rica, usually the stray dogs seem to be in pretty good shape, although I have heard horror stories about dogs being found at death’s door.  In Panama, there were pitifully skinny and maimed dogs in every town.  I’ve seen a few with one of their eyes poked out.  Without Animal Control in the United States, we would also have a massive population of unwanted dogs on the street.  Although the good, dedicated people at the U.S. shelters do their best with adoption, the large majority of dogs picked up are euthanized, their innocent little bodies cremated.  Hence, no visible problem.   Cats are rarely seen here and I am still trying to find out why.

I hope you are enjoying the Holidays, and that 2012 ushers in a new, enlightened age for all.

2 comments:

  1. How interesting! I love to hear about the sights, sounds, and comparisons from a local standpoint! Keep it coming :) You have such a special opportunity to make a difference because of your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stallion Harbor, thank you for your kind words which are very encouraging! May I ask where you are writing from?

    ReplyDelete