Tuesday, August 16, 2011

This is It!

Well, here's to the adventure of my life.  To many of you this will be a big surprise...I have not talked a lot about it because of some advice I received from an artist friend long ago.  Harnie (what a name!) said, "Never talk about what you plan or hope to do, because it dissipates the energy you need to accomplish it."


In case this is the first you've heard, I'm leaving for Central America sometime in mid-September, and from there I plan to explore some of South America.  I do not have a firm itinerary, except that I plan to fly to Panama, visit Costa Rica, maybe Ecuador, then bus (or sail?!) to Chile and over the Andes to Argentina.  I do have some Spanish, and have taken a conversational course this summer...  And eventually, I hope to find,  you guessed it, a little farm!  I know... from Canada, Washington, Oregon, California, to another continent!  So be it.


This idea to go came to me out of the blue very late one night, and would not allow me to go back to sleep.  I suddenly knew I had to make a drastic change in my life...one that would shake me fully awake in my very core.  And trust me, it already has done just that.  The whole process of deciding where to go, what to do, how to relieve myself of most all of my possessions (and my babies...my cats!), and all the thousands of details that need to be looked into or taken care of...all this and more has since kept me awake for what feels like years (but in reality only the last few months)!  It is a nerve-wracking, crazy, and totally exciting time in my life.


I decided to do this blog, on the advice of my dear friend Martha Alexandros.  She said that other people who are contemplating doing the same thing, or some variation of it, would be interested to know the process involved right from the beginning.  At first I didn't think that there would be enough to write about until I actually set foot in Central America.  But now I know better, because the emotional landscape alone, right inside my poor tired head, is full of incredible color!  Believe me, there is a lot I want to share with you right this very moment.  But I think I should keep these posts short and sweet, so as not to tire my very busy readers.


What a wonderful thing it would be if you would come along; my dearest friends, family, travelers all, and share this experience with me!   I will post often, my thoughts and pictures, and I hope that you will comment.  We can have some lively discussions.  I doubt I will have a cell phone in the beginning and I'm sure there will be lonely moments...your comments will mean so much to me!  If you have questions, (and you may well have after this shockeroo) please send those to me at cynthiakoval@yahoo.com, rather than posting them here.  Thanks for reading this, and, please do accompany me on this journey. 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Cynthia, that is indeed a noble spirited thing, to go where your heart draws you, I can understand that feeling and I certainly can relate.
    I think the desire to get away and explore new chapters in one's life is all part of the journey we take while we are here. Enjoy life to the fullest, never let anything in this world get you down, and keep moving forward. My best wishes and desire are for your continued blessings in good health and safe passage. Take care.

    Respectfully, your friend.

    Desmond Farrelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best of luck Cynthia. I envy you. I've been following development in Libya on Facebook's Libyan Youth Movement page and if I didn't have attachments, I might have gone to help the new Libya. Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so proud of you Cynthia! I feel like I am embarking on a journey everytime I receive an update. Keep reaching for your dreams, you're an inspiration to us all.

    ReplyDelete